Arkansas School for Mathematics, Sciences, and the Arts

Maggie Hendrix

The Arkansas School for Mathematics, Sciences, and the Arts in Hot Springs

Maggie Hendrix, Reporter

Located in Hot Springs, the Arkansas School for Mathematics, Sciences, and the Arts (ASMSA) draws students from across the state. It is a residential public school for juniors and seniors in high school.

ASMSA caters to talented students with the drive and knowledge to succeed in a college-type learning environment. Academics are the main focus of the school which offers advanced math and sciences paired with a strong humanities curriculum. The school also offers a college bridge program in which every student earns at least 30 hours of college credit during high school.

According to ASMSA’s website, its mathematics and computer science department is centered around utilizing math skills and concepts to solve real world problems and go beyond traditional curriculum focused on memorization. ASMSA’s science classes range from fundamental scientific understanding courses to advanced classes which connect principles of science to arts and research-centered courses allowing students to pursue their scientific interests.

In recent years, the school has worked to emphasize humanities and fine arts. Particularly unique is its language department, which offers French and Spanish, as well as less commonly offered languages including Japanese and Mandarin. ASMSA also has several courses focused on art, music, history, and literature.

Because ASMSA is a residential school, its students are required to live on campus. Residential life staff members help students to transition to a more college-style residence. The campus also has a nurse and a security team to ensure students’ safety. Students may eat at the school’s Dolphin Bay Cafe free of charge three meals a day, and the cafe accommodates for dietary restrictions.

Application to ASMSA is available to any sophomore in Arkansas. Criteria for admission include a score of at least 19 on the ACT or an equivalent SAT score and letters of recommendation from teachers.

Because ASMSA is a public school, there is no tuition to attend. However, there is an annual fee of approximately 850 dollars, and financial assistance is available for students who qualify for free and reduced lunch. The fee covers room and board, textbooks, and meals.

The application deadline to enter the class of 2020 is March 1, 2018. For more information about the Arkansas School for Mathematics, Sciences, and the Arts, visit its website.