2021 PSAT sign-ups open for juniors

Sophie Moody

The floor 2, phase 2 office where PSAT registration is available

Layne Robinson, Writer

Registration is now open for juniors wishing to take the PSAT this year. In order to sign up, go to the second floor, second phase office between now and Sept. 30th. The cost is $18 and can be paid with cash, a check made payable to FHS, or on the FHS virtual store at https://vstore.fayar.net/. The test will be administered on Wednesday, Oct. 13.

There are numerous reasons to take the PSAT as a junior, even though it is not required. Firstly, it is very similar to the SAT test and can give a more specific idea of how the test is conducted and the types of questions that will be on it. The PSAT can act almost as a practice run for those looking to take the SAT later in the year for college admissions. Detailed scores are given and can be used to inform preparation for the SAT. It should be noted, though, that the tests are not exactly the same and that differences between them exist.
The biggest reason for juniors to take the PSAT, however, is that it doubles as the National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test. By getting a high score on the PSAT and meeting other requirements, eleventh graders may qualify for recognition and college scholarships from the National Merit Scholarship Program.
For questions or further information, students can email assistant principal Jon Gheen ([email protected]).